Monday, February 4, 2008

Why your IPod is destroying your training and civilization as we know it

Before I begin today's bit of ramblings, I have some news. I have a new De Facto editor, a reader, a relative and a fan of sorts, my dear Aunt Rocca, who, as an English major will be keeping the words you read making sense. Of course, that's assuming I let her see my stuff before posting.

Also, some of you might not know the young lady in the picture next to me on my blog. Well, I would like you all to meet my manager, and director of affairs, my niece, Isabella. Although only 4 years old, I have never had a woman keep me in check quite like this one. Every moment spent with her, is well planned, and definitely has a purpose, so, if you have any business matters you would like me to consider, please run them by her first. I have found her decission making ability to be far superior to mine, so, it seems only right that she run the show.

Now, on to today's topic - ok, perhaps the Ipod will not destroy civilization, but, it is creating another level of distance between all of us. But, I am not here to wax poetic about how we are all becoming a society of loners, constantly putting up more and more barriers of technology between us, no, I am here to relate technology and sport. And to that end, I am also extremely limited as I barely know how to work my computrainer. But why, you might ask, am I begrudging the latest and greatest tool for getting music into our heads? Especially for those who know how much I love music? Well, here is my tale, and why I believe that going old school for your training, i.e. sans IPod, is the best way to go.

A few years ago, some of you may remember the birth of the IPod Shuffle. You know, the one that was as big as a stick of gum. It was near Christmas, and all I wanted Santa to bring me was a cute little Shuffle. On Christmas Eve, I could barely sleep, waiting to see what Santa would leave under my little tree. As I awoke, there it was, but not only an IPod, but Santa was so advanced as to know that I would need a charger, and he made it one with speakers! I was thrilled.

So, I ripped it out of the box, put it in my ears and hit play. No music. I was heart-broken, thinking Santa had messed with me. Then, my sister gently pointed out that you need to download music to the IPod, to hear the music. At first, this seemed like an enormous hassle, I had to find music I liked, then get it in the IPod. I thought these damn things knew what you liked and came pre-programmed. Anyway, I went thru the whole deal, got out all my CD's downloaded songs, and then, uploaded them onto the Shuffle. Now, I was ready to hit those long runs in the cold and snow, re-born, my own music keeping me going.

At the time, I was training for my first marathon in 10 years. Now, I love to run, I love distance running, I love to race long distance for multi-sport, but I hate, I mean hate, the marathon. Aside from the pain, its the boredom that kills me. But I have my IPod now, I thought, this will be a snap! So, I drove to my favorite running spot, Waterfall Glen, all smiles, as I tucked my Shuffle in my tights, hit play and took off. I was crusing along to song 1 - AC/DC - Its a Long Way to the Top if You Want to Rock and Roll, feeling good. Then, about 3 minutes later, I noticed something. My stride was off, I was breathing too heavy, and I was sweating way too early in the cold, but, I shrugged it off. Then, 5 minutes later, new song, things got worse. Now I was running like a drunkard trying to run the 100 yard dash- I was weaving all over the trail, sweat pouring, my heart rate thru the roof, what the hell? Then it hit me, I was running in step with my IPod. I promptly turned it off, and finished my run, in a much more controlled and pleasant state.

Thinking it was just a bad day, I tried again, a few days later, same result. Now, those who know me, know that this is usally the point in the story where, not only does Guy take the IPod off, but also chucks it into some ravine. But, I liked the concept of the machine, so I kept running and just tucked it away. When I got home, I realized something - when I ran track at college, we never ran with music. Yeah, we may have been known to sing, usually in agony, but, we never had music. And we ran strong. And I got faster. I thought back to what my old track coach Neal used to say - get a song in your head, and use it to fuel your run. He was absolutely right, and I believe that still holds true today.

Now, I know IPods are great, and everyone loves the conveniece. And, for a lot of us, who doesn't like having a soundtrack as you are training or just taking the train to work, or even walking around? Some call it narcissitic, but c'mon, I think even the late great Mother Theresa would have liked some music playing as she was caring for the sick. So, I get that. I even get using it on your indoor trainer, b/c that's like a form of torture too, although nothing beats the pure dread that is created by the Treadmill, which I consider to be the tool of the Devil. I do not like to miss any of my workouts, actually I hate to skip workouts, but I will find any reason to not run on a treadmill, and stay outside. Remember, I'm the idiot who sees 4 feet of snow, and thinks, how bad can the footing really be? But my mean coach has forced me to use it this season, and I admit, its not bad. Still, I don't use an IPod, mainly, b/c I fear that while trying to change songs, I will hit a cord and send myself flying backwards. (Note, I have come very close to doing this, and have embarrassed myself already in similar situations, when I thought I could use my IPod).

The point I am trying to make is, our forefathers were on to something - they trained without music, and they were fast. And you know why? Because they could hear their body, their breathing, everything. They were internally tuned in, not trying to be distracted. They knew the music that mattered most were the sounds of their own body, it taught them about themselves.

So, for all you tried and true IPod fans, let me challenge you this - unplug. Don't try and ignore the pain, embrace it. In those moments, you will learn the most about yourself and your ability. Don't completely forget the music, have a song playing before you go out to run or ride. Get it in your head, and keep it going on a loop as you go through your workout.

That's it for now, gotta run. I need to download more music into my IPod Nano as I head off to Court to take people's homes away. I'm thinking, "Sympathy for the Devil" sounds good today.

Stay strong.